DJ Lost 85* Pounds
Just five months after my surgery, my husband passed away. The “old me” probably would have eaten away my grief. But the “new me” knows how important it is to stay on track and be healthy.
The surgeons at the New Jersey Bariatric Center® will look at several factors when determining whether you are an ideal candidate for weight-loss surgery.
1. What is your BMI and do you have other obesity-related conditions? You may be a candidate for weight-loss surgery (gastric bypass, gastric sleeve or gastric band) if you meet any one of the following criteria:
- Weigh 100 lbs. more than your ideal body weight;
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more with no other obesity-related health conditions.
- Have a BMI between 35 and 40 and one other severe obesity-related condition, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
Check your BMI to see if you meet any of these requirements.
Don’t meet these qualifications? The FDA recently expanded the use of the LAP-BAND® gastric band procedure. So if you have a BMI between 30 and 35 with medical problems, you may still qualify. Unfortunately, insurance companies do not cover the procedure for people in this category. Visit Insurance and Payment Options to understand your choices. Or visit our Medical Weight Loss page to learn about our medically supervised weight loss program.
2. Are you dedicated to lifestyle change and follow-up? Weight loss surgery is not a quick fix. Long-term success depends on your commitment to changing your lifestyle and keeping with your schedule of follow-up visits. The New Jersey Bariatric Center’s multidisciplinary team of health care professionals, including psychologists, dietitians and exercise specialists, supports you through the initial post-surgical period and beyond.
3. Have you been unsuccessful with other medically managed weight-loss programs? Bariatric surgery is a serious step that should not be considered until other weight-loss methods have proved unsuccessful.
4. Do you have a good support system? You won’t go through this alone. New Jersey Bariatric Center® staff ensures that, but your weight loss journey will also take the support of your family and friends.
5. Other factors to consider:
- Patients must be over age 18.
- Patients must not have any uncontrolled psychological conditions.
- Patients must be free of drug or alcohol abuse.