The surgeons at the New Jersey Bariatric Center® will look at several factors when determining whether you are an ideal candidate for weight-loss surgery.
1. What is your BMI and do you have other obesity-related conditions? You may be a candidate for weight-loss surgery (gastric bypass, gastric sleeve or gastric band) if you meet any one of the following criteria:
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more.
- Have a BMI between 35 and 40 and one other severe obesity-related condition, such as high blood pressure or type 2 diabetes.
Check your BMI to see if you meet these requirements.
Don’t meet these qualifications? If you are interested in weight loss surgery but do not qualify because your BMI falls below the current guidelines, you may be eligible for weight loss surgery through a study being conducted by New Jersey Bariatric Center surgeons through Atlantic Health’s Overlook Medical Center. Visit our Low BMI Bariatric Surgery page to learn more.
2. Are you dedicated to lifestyle change and follow-up? Weight loss surgery is not a quick fix. Long-term success depends on your commitment to changing your lifestyle and keeping with your schedule of follow-up visits. The New Jersey Bariatric Center’s multidisciplinary team of health care professionals, including psychologists, dietitians and exercise specialists, supports you through the initial post-surgical period and beyond.
3. Have you been unsuccessful with other medically managed weight-loss programs? Bariatric surgery is a serious step that should not be considered until other weight-loss methods have proved unsuccessful.
4. Do you have a good support system? You won’t go through this alone. New Jersey Bariatric Center® staff ensures that, but your weight loss journey will also take the support of your family and friends.
5. Other factors to consider:
- Patients must be 15 and 69 years of age.
- Patients must not have any uncontrolled psychological conditions.
- Patients must be free of drug or alcohol abuse.
- Patients need to be medically stable to undergo surgery. The New Jersey Bariatric Center® surgical team will evaluate you in consultation with your own medical doctors and other specialists, if needed, to ensure you are medically stable.