NJBC Eats: Egg Muffins
By Alana Weisman | March 15, 2022
Not consuming enough protein at breakfast can make it challenging to reach your protein goal by the end of the day. Since protein is at the forefront of a bariatric diet, we recommend that patients aim for 20 - 30g per meal. Egg muffin cups are a perfect grab and go breakfast to help reach this goal. They are high in protein and can be loaded with vegetables of your choice. I like to add onions, peppers, spinach, and broccoli. It is a good way for me to clear out any remaining vegetables in the fridge, and keeps the recipe interesting. I make it in advance and it lasts throughout the busy work week. Below is my recipe. Try it out and let me know if you like it.
- 12 eggs
- ½ tsp Everything but the Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe’s
- ⅔ cup low fat, shredded cheese
- 1 cup chopped vegetables of your choice (ex. ½ cup onion, ½ cup bell pepper)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a 12- muffin tin pan with cup liners or use cooking spray in each section.
- Crack and whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl, add Everything but the Bagel Seasoning.
- Whisk in chopped vegetables and shredded cheese.
- Pour mixture into the prepared muffin pan evenly, filling each up about ⅔ full.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Place in the fridge and reheat when ready to eat.
By: Alana Weisman
Alana Weisman, RD, is a registered dietitian at New Jersey Bariatric Center, a medical & surgical weight loss center with offices in Springfield, Somerville, Hoboken, East Brunswick, Hackettstown and Sparta, New Jersey. She provides pre-operative and post-operative nutritional counseling to New Jersey Bariatric Center’s Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve, LAP-BAND (gastric band) and revision patients, in addition to dietary counseling for patients in our Medical Weight Loss program.