NJBC Eats: Egg Muffins
Not consuming enough protein at breakfast can make it challenging to reach your protein goal by the end of the day. Since protein is at the forefront of a bariatric diet, we recommend that patients aim for 20 - 30g per meal. Egg muffin cups are a perfect grab and go breakfast to help reach this goal. They are high in protein and can be loaded with vegetables of your choice. I like to add onions, peppers, spinach, and broccoli. It is a good way for me to clear out any remaining vegetables in the fridge, and keeps the recipe interesting. I make it in advance and it lasts throughout the busy work week. Below is my recipe. Try it out and let me know if you like it.
- 12 eggs
- ½ tsp Everything but the Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe’s
- ⅔ cup low fat, shredded cheese
- 1 cup chopped vegetables of your choice (ex. ½ cup onion, ½ cup bell pepper)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a 12- muffin tin pan with cup liners or use cooking spray in each section.
- Crack and whisk eggs in a large mixing bowl, add Everything but the Bagel Seasoning.
- Whisk in chopped vegetables and shredded cheese.
- Pour mixture into the prepared muffin pan evenly, filling each up about ⅔ full.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Place in the fridge and reheat when ready to eat.