NJBC Eats: Slow Cooker Fiesta Chicken
By Dana Babeu, R.D. | February 1, 2022
During the colder months, my family and I crave warm and hearty meals. I am a huge fan of the slow cooker and this Fiesta Chicken recipe is always on rotation at my house. It’s easy to make, with minimal ingredients. My favorite part about this recipe is that it freezes well and makes great leftovers. It’s perfect for meal prep, too. To keep this dish low carb, try serving it over shredded lettuce or cauliflower rice with ⅛ cup shredded cheese and a dollop of guacamole.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 5-8 hours
- 2.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8-10 thighs depending on size)
- One 15 oz. can of fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles
- One 15 oz. can of black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup of chunky salsa
- ½ cup of frozen corn kernels
- 1-2 cloves of minced fresh garlic or ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. of dried oregano
- ½ tsp. of sea salt or pink salt
- ¼ tsp. of pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a slow cooker, mix together tomatoes, beans, corn, garlic, oregano, cumin and paprika. Add cayenne if using.
- Season both sides of chicken lightly with salt and pepper and slightly press the pieces into tomato mixture.
- Set temperature for 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- When cooking has finished, remove chicken and shred with 2 forks.
- Return shredded chicken to pot and mix with veggies.
By: Dana Babeu, R.D.
Dana Babeu, RD, is a registered dietitian at New Jersey Bariatric Center, a medical & surgical weight loss center with offices in Springfield, Somerville, Hoboken, East Brunswick, Hackettstown and Sparta, New Jersey. She provides pre-operative and post-operative nutritional counseling to New Jersey Bariatric Center’s Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve, LAP-BAND (gastric band) and revision patients, in addition to dietary counseling for patients in our Medical Weight Loss program.