NJBC Eats: Banana Nut Muffins
By Clarissa Padua | September 25, 2020
Bananas are a great source of numerous essential nutrients, including potassium, magnesium, and fiber. Since bananas provide their natural sweetness, the honey (or agave) in this recipe is optional. Here is a healthier banana nut muffin recipe to meet your sweet tooth cravings without the extra sugar and added carbohydrates.
Yields 12 servings
- 3 large overripe bananas – about 1½ cups mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp melted and cooled coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of raw honey or agave nectar (optional)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup walnut halves – toasted and coarsely chopped
- Place rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners, or lightly grease with nonstick spray.
- Mash bananas in the bottom of a large bowl until texture is of smooth consistency. Whisk in the egg, and then the Greek yogurt and oil. Whisk in the honey/agave (optional) and vanilla extract. Sprinkle the baking soda, kosher salt, and ground cinnamon over top, and then stir until combined.
- Gently stir in the almond flour until barely combined, and then fold in the walnuts
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin tin filling each cup nearly to the top. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the muffins spring back lightly when touched in the center.
By: Clarissa Padua
Clarissa Padua, RD, is a registered dietitian at New Jersey Bariatric Center, a medical & surgical weight loss center with offices in Springfield, Somerville, Hoboken, East Brunswick, Hackettstown and Sparta, New Jersey. She provides pre-operative and post-operative nutritional counseling to New Jersey Bariatric Center’s Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve, LAP-BAND (gastric band) and revision patients, in addition to dietary counseling for patients in our Medical Weight Loss program.