BLT sandwiches are known for being a popular choice when it comes to making something quick, easy, and tasty. However, the sandwich tends to be high in sodium and fat content with its typical ingredients. Here’s how to turn a favorite classic into a healthier option.
- 2 slices of turkey bacon, reduced sodium
- 1 large iceberg lettuce leaf
- 4 to 8 tender green lettuce leaves, washed and spun very dry
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat mayonnaise or avocado spread ( ½ ripe Hass avocado mashed, ½ lemon juiced, 1 tsp kosher salt and pepper for spread)
- Prepare bacon as directed on package; drain any excess oil thoroughly as needed on paper towel
- Lay out one large iceberg leaf, spread 1 tablespoon of low fat mayo or avocado spread, add bacon, lettuce leaves and tomato slices on top.
- Fold the bottom up, the sides in and roll like a burrito.
- Slice in half then serve cold.