NJBC Eats: High Protein Pasta Salad
By Karen Kelly, R.D. | September 4, 2020
As we head into Labor Day weekend, many will be firing up the grill and enjoying a few side dishes that include pasta. If you plan on making pasta salad, here’s a healthier version that includes more veggies and reduces the amount of pasta. A bean-based pasta like Banza is a great option in this recipe because it’s packed with protein.
- 1 lb bean based pasta
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 peeled cucumber diced
- ½ cup pitted olives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and add to a large bowl
- Add cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, olives and basil leaves.
- In a separate bowl whisk together dressing ingredients
- Pour over pasta, and vegetables
- Chill in the fridge until ready to serve
Karen Kelly, RD, is a registered dietitian at New Jersey Bariatric Center, a medical & surgical weight loss center with offices in Springfield, Somerville, Hoboken, East Brunswick, Hackettstown and Sparta, New Jersey. She provides pre-operative and post-operative nutritional counseling to New Jersey Bariatric Center’s Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve, LAP-BAND (gastric band) and revision patients, in addition to dietary counseling for patients in our Medical Weight Loss program.