NJBC Eats: Low-Carb Strawberry Shortcake
By New Jersey Bariatric Center Staff | July 23, 2020
Celebrate the flavors of Summer with this Low-Sugar Strawberry Shortcake. The typical version of this delicious dessert is loaded with sugar and carbohydrates. I decided to make a healthier, lower-sugar and lower-carb version - perfect for your next socially distanced BBQ.
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- ½ cup Splenda
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups fresh strawberries, cut up into ¼ inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 325F
- Spray pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and Splenda until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Beat in coconut flour mixture to the large bowl until fully blended.
- Carefully stir in cut up strawberries until mixed in well.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the middle is fully cooked through. Enjoy!