NJBC Eats: Southwest Summer Salad
By Karen Kelly, R.D. | July 10, 2020
I love a good bean salad. They're easy to stick in a container and pack in lunch boxes or office bags plus, they're high in protein and fiber which is great for everyone. The best part? They're inexpensive and easy to prepare with plenty of options for adding or substituting ingredients without too much trouble. This Southwestern Summer Salad recipe is vegetarian, vegan and also gluten-free. Feel free to add some cooked chicken breast to it to pump up the protein content.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or kosher salt, or to taste
- In a large bowl, add drained black beans, corn, red bell pepper, avocado tomatoes, onions and cilantro. Gently mix.
- In another small bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil and sea salt. Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and mix to coat the salad.
Karen Kelly, RD, is a registered dietitian at New Jersey Bariatric Center, a medical & surgical weight loss center with offices in Springfield, Somerville, Hoboken, East Brunswick, Hackettstown and Sparta, New Jersey. She provides pre-operative and post-operative nutritional counseling to New Jersey Bariatric Center’s Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve, LAP-BAND (gastric band) and revision patients, in addition to dietary counseling for patients in our Medical Weight Loss program.