NJBC Eats: Spinach, Mushroom, Onion and Mozzarella Omelet
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This spinach, mushroom, onion and mozzarella omelet is a simple, delicious, veggie and protein-packed meal. What's great about this dish is that it's really easy to customize. Start with a base of eggs and egg whites then add your favorite veggies, cheese and spices. A great option for weekend brunch and busy weekday mornings.
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup part-skim mozzarella shredded cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- Beat 2 eggs and 4 egg whites in a small bowl. Add in cheese, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and spinach to pan and cook until spinach is wilted
- Stir in egg mixture and add in green onion.
- Cook the egg mixture for about 3 minutes, until partially set. Flip with a spatula, and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.