It’s Summer and for some of us that means socially distanced cocktails. But most drinks can pack a lot of added sugar and empty calories into your cup. The next time you’re craving a refreshing drink, try this lightened up mojito recipe inspired by the mint plant currently taking over my backyard herb garden. The directions below are for 1 serving but you can easily adjust this to make multiple servings or a pitcher. You can also adjust the level of sweetness and alcohol to your personal preference.
- 5 to 6 fresh mint leaves
- 2 1/2 to 3 Tablespoons Swerve* brand sweetener
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- About 2 ounces white rum
- Ice cubes
- Club soda or seltzer water
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Make a quick sugar free simple syrup in the microwave by combining 2 Tablespoons Swerve and water. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until sweetener is just dissolved. Do not overheat.
- In a glass or martini shaker, muddle mint leaves, lime juice and remaining Swerve until mint leaves are just slightly broken.
- Add a few ice cubes and rum and pour into a cup or drinking glass (do not strain). Top with club soda or seltzer to taste and garnish with a lime wedge. Enjoy immediately!
Recipe notes: Adjustments can include using less rum and more club soda as well as adjusting the amount of sweetener to taste.
*This recipe was made using Swerve brand sweetener, or powdered erythritol. It may also work with Truvia or Stevia but the amounts may need to be adjusted.