Our recipe review kicks-off strong with Bobbijo’s Cowboy Caviar a vibrant dish with a black bean protein base mixed with a variety of colorful vegtables.
Whether its black, garbanzo or pinto, beans are a great source of protein and fiber. Remember, for a bariatric diet, men should be getting 80 to 100 grams of protein and 38 grams of fiber daily while women should have 60 to 80 grams of protein and 25 grams of fiber. This salad can be loaded with all your favorite veggies like peppers and onions and can be eaten with some fresh celery sticks for a snack with a protein punch leaving you feeling fueled and satisfied.
Bobbijo’s Cowboy Caviar
1. 12 ounces frozen corn, thawed
2. 1 medium orange bell pepper, diced
3. 3 jalapeno peppers, diced
4. 1 medium tomato, diced
5. 1/2 medium red onion, diced
6. 45 ounces (three 15-ounce cans) black beans
7. 1 bunch cilantro, chopped fine
8. 4 limes
9. 2 avocados, diced
10. 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
11. Salt and pepper to taste
1. Drain and rinse the black beans.
2. Juice the 4 limes into a medium bowl. Add the avocado and stir to coat the beans. Set aside.
3. Combine the corn, peppers, tomato, onion and black beans in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Add the cilantro, salt, and pepper, and toss lightly. Add the avocado and lime juice and toss gently to combine. Chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Got a bariatric-friendly recipe to share? We want to hear from you! Email your recipe and pictures to Taylor at email@example.com