NJBC Summertime Recipes: Dr. Goyal's Strawberry Summer Salad
Next up for our summer recipe review is a Strawberry Summer Salad made by none other than New Jersey Bariatric Center’s Founder Dr. Ajay Goyal and his family.
This refreshing dish includes fresh cucumbers and tomatoes to get your veggies in. When eating salad, it’s important to be aware what we put in and on it. Often, a salad can be filled with a variety of healthy components yet once we load on the dressing, we can make the mistake of adding nearly 150 additional calories to our meal! (and that’s if we’re sticking to a small serving size of two tablespoons). Dressings like balsamic glaze provide 8 grams of sugar in just one tablespoon, defeating your purpose of a healthy meal. Switch out the glaze for a light do-it-yourself dressing like Good Seasons Salad Dressing Kit, which lets you make your own balsamic using olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and their seasoning. Finish this salad off with a lean protein and you got yourself a deliciously balanced summer meal.
Dr. Goyal and Family's Strawberry Summer Salad
- 1 cup of Strawberries Sliced
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 1/2 cup of sliced and toasted almonds
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 package of grape tomatoes
- 1 cup of feta cheese
- 1 Good Seasoning Salad Dressing Kit
- 1 Bottle Balsamic Vinegar (for dressing)
- 1 Bottle Olive Oil (for dressing)
1.Place the sliced almonds on a baking sheet and toast them at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
2.Slice the strawberries, peel and slice the English cucumber, slice the grape tomatoes in half, and add them to a bowl. Mix in 1 cup of feta cheese. Clean and dry the head of butter lettuce. Tear small pieces of lettuce and add them to the bowl. Mix all together, then sprinkle the toasted almonds on top.
3. Follow instructions on the Good Seasoning Salad Dressing Kit of your choice to prepare your dressing and drizzle lightly on top of the salad. The kit tells you exactly how much of the balsamic vinegar and olive oil you’ll be using so the bottles you buy now could be lasting you for a while!
Makes 8 servings
Got a bariatric-friendly summer recipe to share? We want to hear from you! Email your recipe and pictures to Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.