This week in our summertime recipe review, we’re taking a look at how to prepare a fresh and delicious meal for your family that doesn’t take up too much of time like dietitian Dana Babeu’s Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers from Genius Kitchen.
With ground turkey as the lean protein, this recipe is low in carbohydrates making it a great choice for any bariatric diet. Ready in about 40 minutes, you’ll have a hearty meal that incorporates all the important food groups. Serve with a side of spiralized veggies for even more of a healthy boost to your dish.
- 4 green peppers (cleaned with seeds and tops removed)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (small to medium size)
- ¼ cup green onion
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (Reserve a ¼ cup of liquid inside the can)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 ½ teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or seasoning blend
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (try to use part-skim or any low-fat variety)
- ¼ cup monterrey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Saute finely chopped onion and garlic in olive oil until onion softens. Add green onions and minced green peppers to mixture and saute for five minutes. Set mixture aside
- Brown ground turkey and cook throughout
- Add onion, garlic and green pepper mixture to the turkey along with diced tomatoes, parsley, italian seasoning and seasoning salt or blend.
- Mix well and cook for five minutes
- Stuff mixture inside green peppers. Top each pepper with a tablespoon of pizza sauce and some cheese
- Cook in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
Makes 4 Servings
Got a summertime recipe to share? We want to hear from you! Send your favorite healthy recipe to Taylor at email@example.com.