NJBC Eats: Mini Burger Bites
Usually every year for Father’s Day (weather permitting), my family and I have a BBQ at my aunt’s house in her backyard. Summer BBQs can be loads of fun, however can also include lots of carb dense foods that may trigger you to overindulge. Here is a recipe for a low carb, protein-packed mini burger bite that’s big on taste and keeps you full.
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef (4% fat or less) or use lean ground turkey
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green/red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg and 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: ketchup, yellow mustard, sliced pickle, cherry tomato
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all ingredients except the cheddar cheese. Evenly fill the muffin pan with mixed ingredients, and smooth out the tops.
- Bake until firm with lightly browned edges, about 30-35 minutes
- Sprinkle the bites with cheese. Bake again until melted, about 2-3 minutes. Another option is to cook it on the grill/pan until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees*